November 22nd, Leiden. After the pilgrims left England to escape the established Anglican Church, and before they landed on Plymouth Rock, they arrived in Leiden, The Netherlands where they lived for 11 years. Thanksgiving holds a special significance for the Dutch and every year in Leiden, the annual Thanksgiving Day Service at the historic Pieterskerk in Leiden is a celebration of the history of the pilgrims and their connection to Holland. The pilgrims recorded their births, marriages, and deaths in the Pieterskerk, and lived in the surrounding neighborhoods during their time in Leiden.
The Jean Pesynhof (Jean Pesyn Almshouses) dates from 1683. It is located on the site of Rev. John Robinson's house while he resided in Leiden. That house, south of the church and near the baptistry, was then known as "De Groene Poort" or the "Green Gate". It was in that house that he lived, preached, taught and died.
Historical marker to the memory of John Robinson, Pastor of the English church in Leiden from 1609 to 1625. Outside
Historical marker to the memory of John Robinson, Pastor of the English church in Leiden from 1609 to 1625. Inside
Pilgrim Fathers Monument De Vliet, marks at the site of departure of the Pilgrims from Leiden. They traveled from here down the Vilet river to Delfshaven harbor where the Speedwell awaited them. The marble slab on the ground bears many of the names of the Pilgrims who departed that day.
The monument titled Pilgrim Fathers was commissioned by the Leiden Archives. It was designed by sculptor Get van der Woude, and unveiled on 2003 May 31 by Henri Lenferink, mayor of Leiden since 2003 March 1. The sculpture has a large inscribed base. The inscription starts with a lists of the family names of the 1620 Pilgrims that left for the New World, followed by a small text in both Dutch and English.